I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

A Tale of Two Parrots ...or ... Works in Progress

Since the last post, I went over the shadowed areas of the head with alizarin crimson.

Next I painted the blue ruff around the neck with ultramarine blue. Then ... the FUN part ... wetting the head, and blorping [a very technical watercolor term  :)] on lots of cadmium red. Right now, I like how it looks. We shall see what happens.  


I also started another parrot - same drawing, smaller format. I started by masking all the white feathers that were in direct sunlight. I wet the entire sheet, and loosely applied aureolin, quin. coral [a warmer version of the quinacridone pinks] and quin. sienna. 

I let it dry [no, I carefully used a hair-dryer, not feeling particularly patient], wet the entire sheet again, and applied thin washes of coral, sienna and ultramarine. I tried to encourage the blue to move more to the bottom, and ended up with two wubbles [another technical term] on the lower left.  

No problem! I dried it, re-wet it [using a firmer stroke than usual when applying water to loosen the areas of mistakes], and applied quin. coral and quin. sienna. It looks like that correction has almost completely eradicated the wubbles. Now I'll let it dry completely, and see what it's like when the masking is removed.

Thank you so much for dropping by! 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Kathtryn,
    It is coming along beautifully! I so enjoy watching your WIP watercolors.
    Enjoy your week.
    fondly,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say, just looks amazing already , and I LOVE your technical terms :-)) Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way it looks already, Kathryn. The red is going to be the perfect color for this bird!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, what a great start to a great subject! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. both look great :) nice vibrant red in the first one and a very delicate colourful background in the second

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you do make me smile with your wubbles etc., .... I've been away for a few weeks and just skimming through all the missed Blog posts and I absolutely love your parrots so far. I think I prefer the first version but its early days ... and the second version is developing a life of its own it seems. Your paintings always turn out beautifully anyway so looking forward to watching progress on these two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blorping and wubbles? Well...I don't think either of these words are in any dictionary but I know what you mean! ha ha Looking good - and good save on the second version bg :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow---- watching it all begin, is truly magic!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  9. First this parrot is really coming alive. I think he is going to be gorgeous. Can't wait to see him finished as well as the second one. Love your technical words. Perhaps in your next post you will provide their meaning- lol! Have a wonderful day friend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. looking good as always Katharyn ... love the composition ..glad to read you are teaching lots

    ReplyDelete