I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

SADDLE SHOES ... a Short Walk down Memory Lane ....

Drawing reference for painting. I almost always use a grid when doing something requiring more accuracy.

First washes - a thin glaze of indanthrone on the "saddle" of the saddle shoes, and different mixtures of aureolin, permanent rose and cobalt blue for the greys and browns. The soles are painted with quin. burnt orange and alizarin crimson.

Ahhh ... that's looking better. I have done some applications of  black, using quin. burnt orange, quin. violet and indanthrone.

Here, I have scuffed up the toes and heel a bit, using a dry brush technique. Still a work-in-progress ...
Framable size  22 x 27 cm.

Voodoo [and he really suits that name]

My reference drawing

A slow start ...
36 x 28 cm.


The arts program director where I teach recently asked [well, asked several times] if I could do a painting for an charity auction the center is supporting. The theme is fashion. No longer being the fashionista I once was, I had a hard time thinking of a suitable subject. Then I had an inspiration from an old memory. When I was very young, every August my sister and I walked, with my mom,  up to the local shoe store to get our NEW school shoes. I always found this such a happy experience. It's strange what one vividly remembers. I can still feel and see myself walking home in the new shoes, too heavy and clunky for the hot summer afternoon. And I found it fascinating to be able to put my feet into a machine where I could see my bones glowing green! Now I realize it was some sort of x-ray device, probably not the most brilliant method of checking the fit of shoes, but it sure looked cool!!! Anyway, it was a great memory, and gave me a good idea for a painting - some scuffed up, old saddle shoes.

Thank you so much for dropping by!  

14 comments:

  1. Hi Kathryn,
    Your beautiful painting of the saddle shoes has stirred up memories of my childhood. I wore saddle shoes too... I can remember the scent of the shoe polish.. Your horse portrait is coming along so well.
    I cannot wait to see the completion.. Your sketch looks exactly like the photo of Voodoo.
    Thank you for the sweet walk down memory lane.
    blessings,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. DEAR KATHRYN - GREAT SUBJECT WITH A DELIGHTFUL MEMORY - MADE ME REMEMBER LATE IN AUGUST MOM WOULD TAKE ME TO GET MY NEW SCHOOL SHOES. MINE WERE HUSH PUPPIES AND IN SUMMER THEY WERE HOT AND BOTHERSOME. AS FOR THE X RAY MACHINE I CAN'T SAY I RECALL ONE BUT THERE MIGHT HAVE BEEN. YOUR HORSE PAINTING IS GOING TO BE OUT STANDING AS ALWAYS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I had similar experiences with the back to school shoes at Harvey's Shoe Store. He had one of those cool machines too. They had to take it out because it was deemed unsafe for kids to get so much exposure to xrays even in the very low dose it provided. I always wanted a pair of red tie shoes but my Father would not permit it. What memories! Your saddle shoes are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kathryn!!! Love these shoes...!!!!! I remember my Mom taking me to Buster Brown's to get my pair of Saddle shoes! I can still smell the leather ..lol I always remember how comfortable they were...ahhhh...memories!!!
    Voodoo is coming along beautifully!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mommy says she remembers those saddle shoes too,, they came in black and white,, or brown and white!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the painting of the saddle shoes! Our mom had a pair and she adored them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed the story behind the shoes. Never heard about such a machine before!!! How odd! Thanks for sharing the progress. Looking forward to see the finished paintings :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shoes are going to be great! I liked the last pair of boots you did... awesome! As is the horse already :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saddle shoes do bring back memories, not good ones. My mom made me wear them when all the cool girls were wearing suede penny loafers. Nevertheless, your painting is coming along great. And the preliminary drawing of the horse is your usual excellence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both works are coming along very well, really love those shoes, though I never wore anything like it as a kid. They do look so comfortable . xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE the shoes!! talk about bringing back memories. Beautiful work all my gunk!

    And thank you so much for your kind words, much appreciated! we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The shoes look great and the horse is off to a good start too. Wishing you a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe they saw something strange about your feet and that's why you had to do them in that machine :):) At that time they didn't see it were the feet of a painter haha Anyway; shoes are perfect for the charity auction in relation to fashion and your painting will be sold in no time! I love the photo of Voodoo, she/he is a sweetie!! It's going to be a beautiful painting, I'm sure. Have fun! Hugs:)xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea for the charity auction! Those scuffed shoes look like they have a few interesting stories they could tell!

    ReplyDelete