I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Sunday, January 18, 2015

A Tale of Two Dogs ... Drake and Miss P. Continued ...

I am still happy with how Drake is coming along.  I've darkened his chest a bit, and tied it in with the dark of the background. He looked a bit odd to my eye, being so narrow below, but he does have a narrow chest and long, lean legs.  I'll probably do that with the left side of the dog to imply a bit more shadow on his ruff and face. I also did a w/w wash of the top dark area of his face, first with a dilute black, and then while wet, with a more concentrated black to give a soft look to his fur. Not sure - is his nose is dark enough?

I am working on  the 6th or 7th version of Miss P. The background is pure and mixed washes of permanent rose, quin. burnt orange and indanthrone.


It was time to get some color on the scarf, so I could better judge how dark to go with the background. Seeing it now, I think a bit more indanthrone is in order. And I gave her  a personalized scarf with her initial on it.

Outside of painting, I have started teaching again. Still LOVING it!!! I spoke to the program director about setting up a drawing class, and she was agreeable to the idea - just have to write up a proposal.
And I still have a house full of hairballs inside, and a huge under-exercised hairball outside in the barn. The weather is a bit better, and the riding ring somewhat drier, so I get one or two rides a week. I can hardly wait till Spring!!!

Thank you so much for your visit!

14 comments:

  1. We love the personalized scarf! Both paintings are coming along beautifully ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡Enhorabuena Kathryn por estos nuevos trabajos! Como siempre muestran una gran exigencia y control del dibujo, de la luz y del color con unos resultados magníficos. Saludos y mucho ánimo para seguir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kathryn - both of these portraits are coming along beautifully. Drake just imbues personality and Ms. P makes me just want to reach out and touch her fur...you have managed to capture the soft fluffy feel. Just amazing my friend. Glad to hear you are still teaching and loving it. Will email you soon - hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're both coming along beautifully, Kathryn!! The color of the nose looks fine to me! and I love the background color.... What a difference it made when you added color to Miss P's scarf... Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post, Kathryn. i love the way Drake and Miss P are developing ... I feel as if I know them.

    So glad you're getting back into teaching, channelling your talent and enthusiasm into students should set 'em alight !

    My darling niece is staying with us for six weeks whilst she recovers from her hip-replacement operation. She found your blog and loved the geese! She chortled for ages ... I think (no promises after my granddaughter's almost commission - she emigrated to Oz) that my niece might well want you to do something for her, catwise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coming along really nicely. Can't believe how well you did Drake's teeth , they look really sharp !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Kathryn,
    Oh they are coming along beautifully.. I think Drake's nose looks great. I don't know if I would change anything. And I just love how Miss P is coming along. Really like the background.
    Looking forward to more!
    fondly,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both looking good - and congrats on the teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Kathryn - they are wonderful! I just love them and especially love the softly friendly look in Drake's eyes. Wonderful news about the teaching and I will keep my fingers crossed for an early Spring for you and your critters!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Kathryn). I like everything about Drake. The nose is perfect and seems even though look moist. The only thing I was a bit weird to watch is the dark part on its head. It seems as if the coat there is very long. That's all. Maybe it should be so. Don't see it as criticism. I hope you also are going to say to me if something is not beautiful in my paintings. That I'd be very grateful! Keep going. Hugs!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are coming along fabulously Kathryn. It is wonderful that you take us along for the journey with your WIP's. They are evolving nicely and will be a treasured addition to the owner's home. Awesome light as always! :)

    ReplyDelete