I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Another Process - Step by Step Botanical Study

I started with a thin wash of aureolin, let it dry then did a w/w drop-the-color-in type of wash with quin. burnt orange.
There is a tiny bit of masking on the upper right of the leaf.

I then went into the cast shadows, which were almost as colorful as the leaf itself. Again, I used aureolin and quin. burnt orange, with a soft black mixed with the orange, quin. violet and indanthrone.

I mixed a bright green with phthalo green and quin. gold, and did a dry brush application with that. I then glazed over the entire leaf with aureolin, and the shadow area with aureolin and quin. burnt orange. I find doing a gentle glaze, with a delicate touch after the original colors are dry, softens the painting, and gives it a more realistic look.  

Here it is with all the detail added.
The painting is 6 1/4 x 10 1/4 in. [16 x 26 cm.]
It will be available at Daily Paintworks.

Thank you so much for dropping by!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kathryn,
    One would not think that a single leaf could bring such beauty....
    Thank you so much for the step by step..
    blessings,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it is so beautiful!!! We love it!
    I found a beautiful leaf today too
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a little beauty! Loved to see how the process worked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this piece and love the process! Wonderful work, Kathryn!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kathryn - absolutely beautiful. Such a simple subject made so gorgeous. Your delicate touch really shows through. You just know how much to paint without getting muddy or fiddly! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete