I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

THE FINAL TOUCH

Kind of a wild-in-the-wind sort of look.


Here he is - trimmed up.




Mr. Przewalski needed a mane and tail, so, courtesy of Bruno, he got them. I used a glue gun to attach the hair to the mane and tail areas, and then trimmed the mane to get the standing-up look for which this breed is known. I think he's adorable, and am giggling away to myself [not in madness] at how he came out.

Thank you for dropping by! Your comments are always welcome.

PS - Bruno does not miss the hair at all. His tail was so long he was almost stepping on it.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

FINALLY ... THE ALOST-COMPLETE SAGA OF THE PAPER MACHE BESTIARY

Owl, not yet varnished. I had to make one eye closed, as it was lower than the other ...  improvising all the time.



Awesome Possum has had one glaze of varnish. It really brings out the color and texture nicely.



Froggy needs varnishing.



... started out from humble origins ...


Mr. P. will be getting a mane and tail made of real horse-hair, courtesy of Bruno.


Mr. Przewalski's beginning.




... and the Basset hound.

Finally, I am almost done. They are all painted, and some of them have had a first spray of varnish.  I hope to have them delivered this weekend.
The next project like this will be a goose, but I will try a different finish - something called "cloth mache". You can read about it on Dan Reeder's web site  http://www.papermachemonsters.com Dan makes fantastic monsters in cloth mache, and also has a wonderfully warped sense of humor.

Thank you for dropping by! Your comments are always welcome!

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

So ... What Did I DO This Week???

... finished the Three Muses - I THINK. I'll leave them for a few days, and then take a critical look.

... am trying to hatch a robin's egg - don't know how successful I'll be using a hot water bottle



... for what it's worth, received my award for a painting

... groomed Bruno innumerable times ...

...I could stuff a pillow with what I have taken off this week ...

looking somewhat scruffy

...did a bit of work on the veggie garden

... left my lunge line and whip outside every time I used it

... cleaned out the flower gardens a bit

... and stopped to admire the tulip!
Thank you for dropping by! Your comments are always welcome!

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Two Down and Three to Go - The Paper Mache Menagerie

This Dynamic Duo is DONE!

Awesome Possum

The texture of the dried paper mache sometimes works very much in one's favor. It worked like a charm creating the possum's shaggy coat.

Basset Hound

And, of course, sometimes the texture works against you when you are trying to do fine detail painting.


The lowly beginning of the possum ...

... and the Basset Hound.

I forced myself to sit down and work on the animals today. After painting with watercolors for the past few days, it feels like painting with sludge. However, two of the commissions are completed. I think I will tackle the owl next ...

Thank you for dropping by! Your comments are always welcome!

Monday, April 7, 2014

Making Fair Headway with My Feathered Friends ...

I spent most of my painting time today on the background.  My intention is to create something of a nebulous, mysterious foil for the Graces. 

 ... and still more scrumbling. I used a dark violet consisting of quin. burnt orange, quin. violet and indanthrone. 

This is where I am right now. I have gone back to the geese -  adding more color, detail and shadow.
... to be continued ...

Thank you for dropping by! Your comments are always welcome.

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Gaggling Along with the Geese ... Feathers, Beaks and Orange Feet

I started with some feathering and shadows on the geese, using a mixture of quin. burnt orange, quin. violet and indanthrone. The feet I painted with quin. sienna. 

More work on the feathers, using a warmer version of the orange/violet/blue mix.

They are starting to look somewhat like geese. I have done more shadowing and feathering, and placed a thin wash of indanthrone on the bills. I wanted to get color on the birds/muses before I returned to the background. My thought is to have the geese appear to be emerging from darkened mists. We shall see ...
Meanwhile, I just heard a loud neigh from the paddock - His Highness wants to play!

Thank you for dropping by! Your comments are always welcome!

Friday, April 4, 2014

Just the Beginning ...

My reference photo, taken two years ago

The sketch

First wash - I painted a wet-in-wet wash over the entire paper, and then did some gentle lifting on the geese.

I would like to create a soft, nebulous background for this, so I am using three colors here - quin. burnt orange, permanent rose and cobalt blue - applying them in a scrumbled manner.

I have always enjoyed Greek mythology and ancient history, so I think this idea was simmering in my head before I realized it. I wanted to create more paintings of geese, so I was going through my reference photos, and this one leapt out at me, along with the title. I am calling it "The Three Muses". They are Aglaea, Euphrosyne and Thalia, minor goddesses who celebrate the beauty, joy and richness of life.
To be continued ...

Thank you for dropping by! Your comments are always welcome.